Tomorrow is National Night Out at Mar Vista Park. This is a great time to get together with your community and have a fun weekday night out with the family. The event is from 6pm to 9pm and you can enjoy a nice soft ball game, BBQ, movie night and more! For more information take a look at Mar Vista Moms post on this event.
If you do go to this event we’d love to see photos, tag The Noel Team on Facebook with your photos!
The Venice zipline officially opens today! We love spending the weekend exploring Venice and all it’s unique offers. The zipline is sure to add some excitement to everyones visit. Will you be heading out to check it out? Read more information about the zipline here.
Events & Tips for a FUN and SAFE Halloween in West LA.
This Halloween, like every other, celebrators want to enjoy themselves and have fun. Am I wrong? There’s trick-or-treating, watching scary movies, costume parties, parades, open fire stations and endless other activities made for this special night. Let’s all try to keep this holiday a day that holds happy memories and a day we look forward to by practicing easy safety precautions. Here are several tips to stay safe that I’ve found and learned throughout the years:
Safety for Parents and their Children:
- Add decorative glow sticks, reflecting tape, glow in the dark paint, etc. to your child’s dark colored costume. This way you can easily spot him or her while trick-or-treating or going through a haunted house in the dark. It would be a good idea to give them a whole flashlight as well.
- Make sure the costume fits. You never know when a child or someone else can trip on a dragging piece of cloth.
- Try to avoid getting your child a full faced mask. If you do, make sure the holes are large to provide optimal vision and breathing.
- Give your child a little card or bracelet with your contact info on it in case he or she gets lost.
- Make sure to check their bag of candies and other goodies before they indulge in them. Trash any open edible items.
Safety Tips for Post Trick-or-Treating Time (aka for Adults that like to go out)
- Don’t drink and drive. Take a cab or have a responsible designated driver.
- Take precaution in front of people in police costumes (they might actually be an officer).
- Charge your cell phone before hand in case you get separated from your friends or accidentally stranded somewhere.
- It wouldn’t hurt to carry an extra ID and spare cash.
- The buddy system isn’t always for kids. Go out with a friend.
- If you plan on going anywhere alone, bring mace unless you’re a 3rd degree black belt or 300 lb wrestler.
Family Fun and Friendly Events in West Los Angeles
Farmer’s Market Halloween Festival
Scare Fair at Richland Ave. Elementary School
All You Can Carry Pumpkin Patch: http://www.smgov.net/portals/farmersmarket/
Pumpkin Decorating: http://www.smgov.net/portals/farmersmarket/
Pet Halloween Parade & Contest: http://www.unleashthebeach.org/2011/10/doggie-halloween-parade.html
Halloween Costume Parade on Montana:
October 31, 2011 3pm-6pm
Montana Ave from 6th to 17th Streets
The 4th annual Montana Avenue Halloween Hop on Monday October 31st, 2011 from 3 – 6 pm. The Halloween Hop provides a safe and fun way for families to parade on Montana Ave from 6th to 17th streets and show off their Halloween costumes while getting treats from participating businesses.
20th Annual PAL-loween
October 31, 2011
Pal-loween provides a fun and safe place for kids to be on Halloween, featuring costume contests, trick-or-treating, games family fun and more!
Halloween Celebration at The Market at Santa Monica Place
October 31, 2011 3:30pm-5:30pm
The Market (3rd level Dining Deck) | (310) 260-8333
Join us for a Family-friendly Halloween pre-party before sundown. Fun activities and entertainment for children, plus specials throughout The Market.
Haunted Theater Party at M.I.’s Westside Comedy Theater
October 31, 2011 8-12am
1323-A 3rd Street Promenade | (310) 451-0850
Grab your capes and jump on your broomsticks for Westside Comedy’s Haunted Theater! October 31st starting at 8 PM M.i.’s Westside Comedy Theater will play host to a parade of ghosts, ghouls and goblins as they transform their comedy club into a Haunted Theater! The club will celebrate Halloween with music, a horribly funny comedy show, a costume contest, plus more!
October 31, 2011
Santa Monica Public Library Branches | (310) 458-8600
Come in costume and receive a spooky prize! Visit any Santa Monica library during open hours on Halloween to get your treat. For kids and teens only, while supplies last.
21+ Halloween Events
Friday, Oct 28, 6-11PM, FREE
A large section of Santa Monica Blvd. will be closed, but restaurants, bars and clubs that line this popular street will stay open.